Modern jazz is being explored and expressed in a refreshing new way through the spacious, environmental sound of Phoenix-based saxophonist Mary Petrich. Unveiling a natural evolution of an impressive career that has ranged across the jazz genre from bebop to big band to samba to the avant garde, the pioneering Petrich literally takes flight whenever she plays that horn.
Fun, spirited and unconventional, Mary Petrich excels in a number of different live jazz settings:
- Mary Petrich-Claudia Bloom Duo – modern jazz standards with pianist Claudia Bloom
- Mary Petrich & the MP3 – classic trio jazz and progressive improvisations
- Something Blue – cool trio doing jazz for special occasions, sometimes with special guests
- OpenHand – progressive, all-original quartet waking up the Southwest
- Phoenix Jazz Girls Rising – Mary directs and performs with this group of up-and-comers
Mary also enjoys a growing reputation as a recording artist. Murmuration, her most recent CD on Surface Tension Records, was a compelling foray with her OpenHand quartet in support. The album boasts great, original tunes wherein Petrich’s tenor and soprano saxophone leads are sparse but profound as she speaks volumes through each solo.